National Pollinator Week
National Pollinator Week started with the Summer Solstice, Monday, June 20. In fact, the Pollinator Partnership announced that June 20-26, 2016 has been designated National Pollinator Week by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the U.S. Department of the Interior.
Many of you are aware that our lovely pollinators are threatened due to our damaged eco-systems. There are huge movements and resources that are becoming available to help you learn about the value of the pollinators in our lives. I want to share this new resource list that just arrived from the National Garden Bureau. And if you live in northern Nevada, you can visit the new Butterfly House and Science Center that is now open for the season.
- Pollinator Partnership, Regional Plant Guides.
- Xerces Society, a guide to Farming for Bees.
- National Wildlife Federation, a guide to Milkweek for Monarchs.
- U.S. Forest Service, tips on Gardening for pollinators.
- Horticulture Research Institute, Grow Wise, Bee Smart, a guide for businesses to participate in pollinator-friendly practices.
There is a global recognition that we are all connected–that we co-exist with nature and that as we help our pollinators we are also helping ourselves. I have been giving many talks on a regional basis about our connection with nature and specifics on how to attract pollinators to your own garden. If you’d like me to speak to your group, please contact me here.
In sync with nature,